Book Review: Lola &d Boy Next Door

Book-iography

Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Published: September 29, 2011
Format: Ebook
Pages: 303
Type: Companion Novel to Anna and the French Kiss
Bookshelves: YA, Contemporary, Companion Novel
Read: June 15-17, 2012
Links: Goodreads
 Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Rating: 

What can I say?


I was actually surprised. I never thought I'd like Lola and the Boy Next Door. Honestly, I was purposely ignoring this book because I was discouraged by its negative reviews. I mean, who wouldn't be discouraged by the hundreds of raves? Yeah, so what I did was I pushed this book to the end of my reading list as much as I could. Mean, huh? But then I really loooove Stephanie Perkins! She made me fall head over heels for Anna and the French Kiss, so I was still secretly craving for Lola and the Boy Next Door. Apparently, I couldn't hold myself anymore and I finally buried my nose on its pages! Ha! :)

Okay, let me start. There were a lot of issues that bothered me in this book. Issues that I won't tolerate in real life. But then, I admired Stephanie Perkins. I admired the way she crafted these controversial issues without making it sound that she supports them OR rejects them. She just lays all of them on the table and leaves a room for us to ponder and decide. 

Concealing these issues is the story of Lola. She's a creative 17 year old girl who loves to dress up everyday. She vows to never repeat the same garment in a year! Unbelievable. So, she has this huge crush on his gorgeous neighbor, Cricket. They've been the best of friends until Cricket's 16th birthday. Cricket's family moved into a new place in order to make way for Calliope's, Cricket's twin, training. Cricket and Lola didn't part ways really well. So after Cricket's family moved, Lola was left heartbroken and rejected. 

Cricket's family is gone for two years and Lola tries her very best to forget him and move on. She did, well she thought she did. She got a new boyfriend, a band vocalist, who is way way way older than her. This made her parents anxious about her boyfriend. They never allowed Lola to go out with him without a series of interrogation and check-up calls.

When everything seems good for Lola, that's when Cricket's family returned. They've changed a lot, especially Cricket. He's still unbelievably good looking and gorgeous, but he seems different. He acts differently. He's A LOT nicer and A LOT sweeter to Lola! That's because he's undeniably, deeply, and truly in love with Lola since time immemorial! Sweeeeet. <3

But when Cricket admits this to Lola, her happy life becomes a lot more complicated. She becomes crowded with confused feelings, mixed emotions, and abrupt decisions. How would Lola manage this situation? What would happen to Cricket knowing that Lola has a boyfriend? How would Lola handle the issues pressuring her?
Lola and the Boy Next Door + Anna and the French Kiss
Photo (c): YABookTwins

See for yourselves and try to read it. Don't be discouraged by the tons of rages against this book. It's pretty cool. :) I think you'll like it. :) Cricket is awesome <3 HA HA! =)) PLUS Anna and Etienne are here in the book! <3 <3 <3 Though I was a bit disappointed because I can't recognize their voices. They didn't sound like themselves from the first book, but then I guess I'm just thinking too much. :P Overall, the book's fun to read. 


Enjoy reading! God bless!

This review is available at Goodreads! :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I would like to hear more from you soon! :') God bless you! :')

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up